Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day


This is my favorite picture of my kids. It was taken almost three years ago at DisneyWorld on a stifling hot September day. All around us people meandered down Main Street USA taking in the sights and sounds of 'the happiest place on Earth'.

Not my kids. They were looking at ducks.

I took this picture of them because it made me laugh. At the time, the incongruity of it made me smile and shake my head the way parents do when their kids do something cute and incomprehensible.

Years later, I look back at this moment and realize it encapsulates everything I need to know about being their mother. No matter what I do, or how much I pay, plan, encourage, lead, direct, push and cajole, if I give them a chance, they'll show me what they think is important. And who am I to disagree?

I think they may have put the ducks there to remind me.

Thanks, Walt.

4 comments:

Natalie Bowers said...

The best things in life a free . . . and simple . . . and often involve ducks!

Seriously though, I get the feeling that kids have a better idea about what's imoprtant than we adults do.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Hope you have a lovely day.

Mary said...

Thanks, Nat! Hope your day is lovely as well.

Something wonderful about free and simple, isn't there? I'm glad I have them, they remind me constantly of what is truly important.

d said...

Love this! Think this is one of the many reasons we have kids ...to remind of us of good stuff.

I've been pondering what your pink child has on her head some kind of striped beret with ears?

Mary said...

Thanks, danni. Kids are great at stripping life down to its most salient features.

My pink child has a pirate's bandana on her head, with Mickey Mouse ears poking out the top. She was a big hit with the Disney Cast Members. :-)