Saturday, May 29, 2010

Keep smiling, keep shining

I have a new friend. He's blond, wears glasses and his face is set in an expression that never deviates from 'man on a mission' determination. He's four.

Yesterday marked his first school-wide assembly. He spent some time squirming and ended up sitting on the floor. Twice he covered his ears. He had trouble waiting and I can't say I blame him. I'm not sure the range of deficits this little guy carries around with him, but I'm guessing 'doesn't like loud' and 'get on with the show' are two of them.

His helper scooped him up and sat him on her lap. That's when it happened.

We connected.

He turned and looked at me. I think at first, he was attracted to my glasses, but then, he found my eyes. I stayed absolutely still. I glued a pleasant expression on my face. I waited.

We stayed like this for a long while. Then, he smiled. It felt good.

I hope he remembers. I'm writing this so I never forget.


*post title from "That's What Friends are For" Lyrics by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager

2 comments:

d said...

Awww, an awesome moment beautifully described.

Mary said...

Thanks for the love, luv.