Friday, April 30, 2010

Ink

I always wanted a tattoo. For years, I thought about getting one, but I never could figure it out. I'd choose a design, but either I'd grow tired of it (big problem - if you are getting a tattoo, you'd best love it for the ages, cuz, it's damn hard to get rid of it) or I never could settle on a place to put the darn thing.

I love tattoos. Each one come with a litle story. They mean something. They prick my curiousity. I want to hear about them. I think they beautiful and mysterious and incredible.

It took me many years, but I finally settled on a design and a placement. I'm a little annoyed with the placement. It's on my back and I can't see it real well. Stinks because I really love it. It is a tribute to my children. It's based on a poem by Sharon Olds, here's a little excerpt:

"...the world that was not enough for her without me in it,
not the moon, the sun, the stars...not the
earth, the sea, none of it was
enough for her, without me."

Sharon Olds' poem appears in
The Wish, The Wait, the Wonder:
A Book of Wisdom for Expectant Parents
Complied by Gail Perry Johnston
(Harper Collins, 1994)

2 comments:

d said...

Yep. Tattoos are cool and the coolest part is the stories that go with them. Definitely.

Loved yours (tattoo and story).

I used to want a tiny heart on my shoulder --it's based on some tell-tale birthmark in an old movie (think it had pirates in it) but the desire has faded. I'll probably go out of this world undecorated.

Mary said...

It's a major life commitment, no question. I waiting until I was fifty. It was a celebration of my first half century. Gonna take me another fifty years to figure out the next one. hah!

Never say never, girl!